CHEM 313: Main Group & Solid State Chemistry                    [Winter 2014]

Instructor: Prof. Holger Kleinke.
Lectures: Tuesday and Thursday, 10:00 to 11:20, in MC 2034.
Office hours: Friday, 2:00 to 3:00 p. m., in C2-067, or anytime on twitter.
TA: Quansheng Guo.
TA hours: To be determined.
Expectation of Academic Integrity: click here.

Content:
 This course provides a detailed examination of the structure and bonding in main group and solid state compounds, including valence bond and molecular orbital theory for describing electronic structures, Hückel and Extended Hückel approximations. Structures of simple solids, including close packing of spheres and derived ionic lattice types; aspects of chemical crystallography, Bravais lattices, point groups, space groups, crystal planes, and X-ray diffraction; ionic interactions in gases and solution; descriptive chemistry and characterization of main group element compounds.
Prerequisite: CHEM 212. Antirequisite: CHEM 213.

Recommended books:
 1)  Gary L. Miessler, Paul J. Fischer, Donald A. Tarr, Inorganic Chemistry, 5th edition, Prentice Hall, 2012.
 2) Anthony R. West, Basic Solid State Chemistry, Wiley, 1999.

Evaluation:
 4 - 6 assignments (in total 20% of the overall mark), one 75 minute mid-term evaluation (30%), one 2.5 hour final (50%).

Schedule:
 Classes between 06-Jan-2014 and 04-Apr-2014. Final will be announced by the registrar (08-Apr - 24-Apr).

Lecture notes and assignments etc.:
 See course web page on LEARN;
 solid state structures and carboranes.